Friday, September 23, 2011

The Love I Never Dreamed I Had

When the Michael Vick dog fighting controversy started I didn't realize at the time that my heart would soon be opened to a love I never dreamed I'd have. Like many, my eyes were wide open and I followed the trial every day with my pre-conceived opinion on the matter (still do).  My attitude at the time was they are just dogs and pit bulls at that so, they deserved it.  Since I had never seen or interacted with a pit bull before the media had told me everything I needed to know about these monsters; they kill folks for no reason, they turn on their owners, and they can't be trusted. It wasn't until my son told me the gory details of what was being done to these dogs; the drowning, electrocution, throwing them off of roofs, etc., it mortified me.  To see the dogs and how scared and visibly shaken they were, stirred something inside of me.  As the trial ended and he was sentenced, life went on as usual for me and my family.

One day while doing homework my daughter and I were watching Animal Planet and their show, "Pit bull and Parolees" was having a marathon and my attention was no longer on my homework.  There on my screen was this thin caucasian lady running after stray pit bulls and caring for more than I could count by herself and it amazed me.  The episode that not only opened my eyes but my heart was about a dog named, Creature (he was so ugly he was cute).  Creatures' story made me realize animals do have feelings, they cry (whine), they feel pain and, most importantly they do know love and know how to love.  Creature had been with Villalobos for a while and his trainer convinced Tiaa to go to an adoption event; long story short a man was interested in Creature however, he had not discussed things over with his wife and Creature was not adopted.  Tiaa and Creatures' handler took him to another event where a family was extremely excited about him and all was well until Tiaa did the home inspection.  The inspection found that the family did not have enough space for Creature and Tiaa was unable to allow the adoption.  The family was obviously disappointed but, the look on Creatures face and his demeanor was heartbreaking.  It was as if he knew he would never be adopted.  After much discussion with my family, we decided to put in an application to adopt Creature but, he had already been adopted. Discussing the episode with co-workers, one of my co-workers who owns three female pit bulls told me about a rescue organization near my home.  My family researched the organization, completed the application and the love I never dreamed of, bullied her way into our lives.  Sasha has been a true joy and major head turner in every sense of the word. Sasha has changed mine and my family's perception of pit bulls.  Not only has she changed our perception but she's also changed others she has had contact with outside of our family.  For those minds that she hasn't changed completely she's definitely changed their perception of pit bulls! Every day I learn something new about Sasha and pit bulls in general.  They are loving, loyal, great with kids, a great companion and like all of GODS creatures need, want and deserve love! Due to Sasha's wonderful personality and love for us, my family decided to adopt another pit bull, Krusher who came from the same organization as Sasha.  He has definitely given us a run for our money.  He came from bad beginnings and we caught the tail end of it, he is the BIGGEST cuddle bug you will ever find! Between Sasha's kisses and Krushers' cuddliness there are no lonely days at our house. It is because of my two loves that I never dreamed I'd have and others sharing their love for this bully breed that this blog has started.  WE are giving a voice to those that can't speak, advocating and fighting for their right to exist and live ANYWHERE, and not to be discriminated against. Punish the deed and not the breed! Judge each case on a case by case scenario. In the end this bully breed did not create itself...man tried to create a monster...its the love and compassion of mankind that these dogs still exist!

The Pretty Chic with the Pits, Inc.
"Societies perception is NOT these dogs reality"
www.twitter.com/chicwithpits
www.facebook.com/chicwithpits

1 comment:

  1. wonderful post! having had a pittie myself until he passed just recently, i totally agree with everything you said. he was the most wonderful, loyal, loving, smart dog and was definitely the complete opposite of what the media would tell us pit bulls are. thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete