Monday, September 24, 2012

Another point of view

Two years ago I made a change in my career that brought me to meet a wild and crazy person who was definitely my opposite. Though we started off as opposites we have found a common ground and she has become a very dear friend. From birth I was raised around animals and have always been in receipt of an animal's love and devotion. I would tell stories at work about my animals and my opposite would always laugh and say I was crazy. I could never imagine her with any type of animal because it just wouldn't fit her lifestyle. That all changed in Feb 2011. She came into work and announced to us all that she had decided to adopt a dog. It wasn't just any ole dog it would be a pit bull. She proceeded to tell us about watching a tv show over the weekend and it had changed her mind about the breed. Here my opposite was excitedly looking through pages and pages of pit bulls that were up for adoption. When one finally captured her eye that was all she could talk about until adoption day finally came. She was showing picture upon picture of her new baby and not her kids. I was amazed at how she was starting to change and how we were no longer opposites. After a few months she decided she wanted another dog and adopted again. There again she was changing. I never expected the changes that would occur over the next several months to a year because of the love she received from these two pit bulls. Not only had she become a proud and loving pet owner but, she wanted to make changes. She jumped with both feet in to helping rescue organizations in VA to give other pit bulls the opportunity to have a better life with loving families. We all thought she was crazy but, it was something she now believed in because of the love of her dogs. She had to make this area better for pit bulls. She has become such an advocate for these animals and I couldn't be prouder. Here someone that was just my opposite a few months ago was rescuing and fostering dogs and now was traveling to my hometown in Charles County MD fighting against BSL. I was amazed at her devotion to this cause but, I knew it was all because of the love she received at home from her two babies, how could she look in their eyes knowing their brothers and sisters were out there not wanted in certain areas, needing homes and deserving of the love they were receiving. The love of a dog was changing her. Her next step was deciding to try and jump into working with animals full time and becoming a certified dog trainer. She has had doubts at times that she is doing the right thing but, deep down she knows it is something she wants and has to do. Why you say? Because of the love of a dog. Here someone has gone from being my opposite in not understanding the love and devotion I had for my animals to now knowing exactly what I speak of and feel. The love of an animal makes you change many things in your life. They are dependent upon us so there are times we have to change our sleeping patterns, lifestyle and schedule to fit with theirs. My once opposite has changed her entire life to be revolved around her dogs. She has jumped in with full force at making sure pit bulls in the DC/MD/VA area have a fighting chance of finding their furever home and are welcome wherever their families would like to go. So, here you had someone who was a hardworking single mother that liked to get her party on and didn't have the responsibilities of an animal at home that now has two pit bulls and is taking up fighting PG County and the State of Maryland to end their bans on Pit Bulls and Pit Bull Mixes. All of these changes she has been through the past year and half have been because of the love of two dogs!!! So if you want to know what true love and devotion is you need to find and adopt your pet soul mate so, you too know the love of a dog!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment